TalentEd are thrilled to be partnering with best-selling author Simon Singh to run a course of online Maths Masterclasses for four weeks in May. The Masterclasses will see our expert maths tutors teaching high-level maths to small groups of strong, motivated students through an online platform.
Simon Singh is the author of books such as ‘Fermat’s Last Theorem’ and ‘The Code Book’, and he has received an MBE for services to education and for his efforts to inspire and challenge young mathematicians and scientists. This is a fantastic opportunity for students to stretch their maths skills to the next level. The focus will be on developing problem-solving techniques by encouraging students to think about what skills they can bring to bear on novel problems and how they can cleverly combine them to discover a solution.
Who is eligible?
- Year 7 and Year 9 students are eligible for the Maths Masterclass
- Students must have predicted grades of 8-9 at GCSE
- Year 9 students should have received a Gold award in last year’s UKMT Junior Maths Challenge
- Year 7 students must have fully mastered Key Stage 2 Maths and be among the best in the year
- Students must have a keen interest in furthering their Maths skills
- Students will be expected to join all four Masterclasses
- Students must be attending a non-selective UK state school.
- Students who make the most of this opportunity will be considered for regular tutoring starting in the autumn
When will the Maths Masterclass take place?
- May 4th – 31st 2020
- Students will receive four one-hour sessions, one per week
- Sessions will take place after school with students connecting via a classroom, or in the evenings or at weekends with students connecting from home
- Masterclasses are likely to involve three to five students, connecting from different parts of the UK.
What technology do I need to take part?
- A working laptop, desktop or tablet with a microphone and camera.
- Good internet connection
- Zoom, free video conferencing software that is easy to download and easy to use
Who will be teaching?
- We have a number of Maths Masters who will be teaching students using resources developed by Simon Singh’s team
- All our tutors are verified by TalentEd and DBS checked
How do I apply (teachers) ?
- Apply on behalf of your students using the application form here. (Should take around 10 minutes)
- Please discuss this with your nominees and their parents/guardians first, as you will need to insert the contact phone and email for a parent/guardian.
How do I apply (Students) ?
- Send this web page to your Maths teachers and ask them to consider nominating you
How do I apply (Parents) ?
- Send this web page to your child’s teacher and ask them to consider nominating your child
*Please note nominations must be received by April 3rd 2020